Jeans. Always a bit of a problem for a woman of a certain age with a tummy of a certain size, am I right? As soon as I gave birth to my first child I entered a world in which I could no longer purchase the Topshop Baxters I’d been wearing since I was 16, a world that involved finding new denim suited to my new body type. That might sound like the ultimate in middle class problems, but as a mum when you barely have the energy to wash your hair you most certainly don’t have the energy to pick a more interesting outfit than ‘jeans and a top’.
I get a bit wistful now when I mull over the hipster jeans I used to wear with abandon, thinking nothing of exposing my tummy button to the world every time I reached for the top shelf in the supermarket. If ONLY I’d appreciated the Baxter-ready body I so took for granted back then. Those were the days, eh?
Which is why ever since Elfie was born – that’s six years then – I’ve been hunting for my perfect jean. I’ve had flirtations with some (notably the slim-cut resolution from GAP) but none that have consistently stolen my heart.
Mums, if you are also searching for the perfect pair of jeans, please head to the denim department at M&S. You won’t regret it: this is why I love them so:
– Slightly high-rise so I can tuck all my tummy in, not so high-rise that I feel like a fashion-forward teenager
– They STRETCH! I can bend and crouch without revealing bits of me that the general public don’t want to see
– They come in short and long: short is perfect for my little legs, regular is the perfect length for me to snip for a freyed hem, long is great for those I envy with legs for days
– They make bums look fantastic. Enough said
– They are between £15 and £25
Because I am a gullible fashion person who has previously spent up to £250 on jeans previously (I KNOW) I feel able to say: these are brilliant. I wear my three pairs of M&S way more than my bank-busting J Brand ones. If you’re in the market for some new denim head to your local Marks: now, if not sooner. Here are my picks for you… I own and love them all: I’m wearing the 5 Pocket Super Skinnies in the top image:
Skinny Leg Jeans, £19.50 | 5 Pocket Super Skinny Jegging, £22.50 | Mid-rise Skinny Leg Jean, £15
Awesome red Mariel handbag (top) c/o LK Bennet, £145, with Boyarde leather letters, £19 each.