Breast feeding makes you HUNGRY. So hungry. According to an article I read recently it burns 500 calories A DAY which explains how I lost 5lb in 5 days and also means I will be breast feeding Huxley til he’s 18. Anything to avoid exercise.
I’m eating a breakfast, elevensies, big lunch and big dinner. Plus biscuits. I need my three meals a day and am craving all sorts of veg, carbs and protein; this is tougher than it sounds with a clingy toddler (there’s only so much colouring she wants to do) and a baby who wants to be cuddled by his mama all the time. Baby cuddling + a gas hob = a one-way ticket to a visit from Social Services.
So these days dinner preparation takes place in snatched moments when babies are asleep or between 8pm-8.30pm when Will gets home and I can hand Hux off to him between feeds. Last night was a 30 minute special full of veggies, healthy and filling that I adapted from a recipe on The Londoner, a blog choc-full of healthy recipes that don’t compromise on flavour. I still ate a chocolate pudding afterwards, but this can come off my new 500 cal allowance.
Pretty much all ingredients in this recipe come in convenient ready-to-cook packs but don’t let this put you off; it’s what makes the broth so ingeniously quick and easy.
- 1 tin beef consommé
- 1 pack fresh veg, such as sugar snap peas and baby sweet corn
- Handful chopped mushrooms
- 1 chilli
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 pack cooked prawns
- 1 small pack straight-to-wok noodles
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- Put the veg (excluding the mushrooms) in a dish with a lid with a tbsp of water and microwave for 2 mins, or half the specified cooking time.
- Heat the sesame oil in a saucepan on a medium heat.
- Add the microwaved veg plus mushrooms and cook for 2 mins. Add the prawns and cook for a further 2 mins. Add the noodles and break up.
- Add the tin of consommé to the pan with the fish and soy sauce. Chop and add the chilli.
- When piping hot serve in bowls with the coriander sprinkled on top.