If you click this website’s links I may earn a small commission.
As Elfie comes close to celebrating her first birthday I thought it would be nice to look back at the time she first came into our lives. Here were my thoughts one week in to motherhood, on July 14th 2010:
– I’m feeling really great after the C section – so much better than I expected. I’m trying not to let this lull me into a false sense of security and go mad with the housework but am really pleased I can do bits and pieces around the house still. I didn’t even feel the staples come out of the section incision on day 5 (15 of them in total!) and have cut down to 2 lots of painkillers a day.
– Being a Mum is harder yet easier than I imagined. I am exhausted (I imagine this is as I recover from the caesarian) which makes things tough but feeding and changing her is such a pleasure.
– Elfie sleeps A LOT. I’d estimate around 21-22 hours a day. I’m jealous. We’re lucky that she goes down for the night with us at about 11, sleeps through until a feed and change at about 3.30, and then back down til 7. What a good baby. I wonder how long it will last?
– She only likes to sleep on her side in her cot all scrunched up, very cute but it means her nappies leak… we’ve had to do a couple of 4am sheet changes. – She loves eating and now we’ve resolved our breastfeeding issues she’s doing it about six times a day. I’m expressing one feed a day so daddy can get involved too; Tommee Tippee bottles have been brilliant and there’s no boob/bottle confusion whatsoever.
– Her belly button stump fell off today!
– She’s still so tiny that she doesn’t fit into newborn sized clothing. Will bought some ‘tiny baby’ sized babygros to see us through but they’re still big on her and we need to roll up the sleeves. The legs on them flap around like flags in the wind. Very sweet but I hope she fits into the lovely outfit we have for my cousin’s wedding in a couple of weeks (size newborn).
– She had lost 9 ozs at her check on Monday – they were fairly happy with this but we will get re-checked on Friday.
– I can’t wait to be all better and be able to drive again – I miss shopping! I miss restaurants! I miss the supermarket! Really looking forward to getting out and about with our little girl.