Day Two

May 3, 2013

What a difference a day has made.

I don’t know if it’s this city, the people I’ve met or the freedom I’ve felt but already I am rejuvinated. For the first time in a long while I feel capable and excited at what might be round the corner. Despite the late nights and jetlag-driven early mornings I’m energized and simply, unashamedly happy.

4eb37072b37911e2a86422000a1f9839_7 868c35dcb33411e28ed022000a1fbc58_7

Yesterday was perfect; a walk over the Williamsburg bridge (this place is so hip it hurts, by the way), brunch at Pastis, a stroll along the High Line Park and lunch at The Standard. A visit to my old work’s New York office, chewing the fat with some bar-hopping Italians and a perfect drink in a lovely bar with a breathtaking view over Columbus circle. A cab back over the Hudson to meet old London friends in a hotel’s rooftop bar followed by drinks and a stumble home. I felt 18 again and it rocked.

(Hangover face)

I was so worried before I arrived here that I would go slightly nuts without the kids, but the process has been a lot less painful than I expected. Maybe that comes with the new found contentment, but I have no anxiety or worries about how on earth they are coping without their Mama. I know they’ll be just fine.

Bring on NYC evening number three: burgers and comedy. I love this town.

• Reply caroline May 3, 2013 at 9:35 pm

new york’ll do that to ya!

have a great rest of trip.

• Reply Fiona May 3, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Love love New York, such a great atmosphere. An exciting city. Glad your having a good time so jealous

• Reply Jenny May 4, 2013 at 3:39 am

New York is a great town. Enjoy and get to know some locals. There are many sides to the Big Apple. Have a great time

• Reply Peggy May 4, 2013 at 7:03 am

Oh Alice, I am so jealous! Great to hear you’re having such a good time. You will come back a totally refreshed woman x

• Reply Honestmum May 4, 2013 at 11:06 am

Oh wow, love your hangover look-Ray Ban’s hide any jetlag and wow you lucky lady, go rock it!

• Reply older mum in a muddle May 4, 2013 at 8:07 pm

You look like you are having a fabulous time – love that first picture – it all looks so grand!

• Reply Fives A Fellowship May 5, 2013 at 10:26 am

Your tip sounds positively liberating! Oh to feel like that again. I hope you continue to have wonderful time!

• Reply Metropolitan Mum May 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm

So happy to read that you are feeling liberated and happy! Whenever I have been away from Lil L, I have felt the same – as opposed to feeling guilty, as everyone would make me want to believe. I am going away for a week on my own in October. I know I am going to be sad and feel slightly guilty when I have to say goodbye. But I also know that I’ll feel much better as soon as the plane will have taken off.

• Reply Tots100 Fresh Five | Tots 100 May 10, 2013 at 8:31 am

[…] Day Two […]

• Reply Jennifer Howze May 17, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Great series on your NYC trip. The pictures really bring it to life. I go back to NYC (lived there for 10 years) on my own to visit friends every other year or so. Different circumstances from yours but it really is rejuvenating. It’s good to remember what you’re like on your own.

• Reply Tots Travel: America | Tots 100 March 18, 2014 at 11:39 am

[…] lucky enough to go minus children, take inspiration from Alice over at More than Toast who went to NYC on a girls’ trip.  Looks […]