MTT: Easy Lamb Koftas With Tzatziki

June 10, 2011

lamb koftas

Greece and Greek food (like these Easy Lamb Koftas!) is very special to our little family. The in-laws lived on the beautiful island of Meganissi for a long time and my father-in-law is buried there so we will continue to return for holidays as often as possible. It’s the least touristy place I’ve ever visited in Greece; the Onassis family own the next-door island and the summer season attracts wealthy Greeks and Italians rather than lager-lout Brits. Don’t tell anyone – I like to think it’s our secret.

One of the best things about Meganissi is the food. Stifados – fried aubergine – fish – salads – tzatziki. I always come home about 2 stone heavier with a renewed enthusiasm for feta, olives and Greek yoghurt.

Lovely Lamb Koftas

As I’m still trying to lose the last couple of pounds of baby weight I try not to indulge too much but I recently made the discovery that 0% fat Greek yoghurt pretty much tastes the same as the fattening stuff. So now it’s going on everything; breakfast, posh prawn cocktail, pudding, and my personal favourite: tzatziki.

These lamb koftas are super easy to make, healthy and really delicious. Plus, when cooked, they look a little bit like poo. Always good.

Easy Lamb Koftas With Tzatziki
Cuisine: Greek
  • Serves 2 hungry people
  • 500g lamb mince
  • Handful fresh mint, finely chopped
  • Handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • Teaspoon cinnamon
  • Teaspoon cumin
  • Half a red onion, finely diced
  • Salt and pepper
  • 3 tbsp 0% fat greek yoghurt
  • ¼ of a cucumber, finely sliced
  • Handful fresh mint, finely chopped
  • Salt and pepper
  • Wraps, to serve
  1. Mix together the mince, herbs, spices, onion and seasoning in a large mixing bowl. I like to use a fork or a knife to break up the meat, but then I get in there with my hands to smoosh it all together.
  2. Yum. Use your hands to make small sausages, about half the size of regular sausages. Put to one side.
  3. In a smaller bowl mix together the remaining mint, cucumber, seasoning and yoghurt. Slice the red onion and put to one side.
  4. Heat half a tbsp in a pan on a medium heat and cook the lamb sausages until browned all over, about 5 minutes on each side.
  5. Make up the wraps with the sausages, yoghurt mixture and sliced red onion. Lettuce optional.

lamb koftas

• Reply Josie Harold June 11, 2011 at 1:57 am

Yum – I miss Greece! x

• Reply Helen June 11, 2011 at 10:57 am

These look amazing. I adore Greece. My favourite island is Poros, which sounds a little similar to Meganissi, in that it tends to not attract lager lout Brits! Always good.

• Reply Metropolitan Mum June 11, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Thanks for this – I love lamb koftes but I have never tried making them myself.
    I’ll be going to Greece in August for the first time ever. Can you believe this?? We’ll be going to Paros in August. Hot, hot, hot!

• Reply Metropolitan Mum June 11, 2011 at 9:39 pm

PS: Oh, That sounded weird. I meant the weather, of course.

• Reply alice June 12, 2011 at 11:22 am

Last check Ibiza was at 26 which is pretty perfect for us (Will can’t handle the heat) and we usually go to Greece in late June so the precious little poppet doesn’t get sunstroke. It’ll be scorching in August, how wonderful!

• Reply Bryony June 14, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Thanks for this! Dean is more thankful though as I’m making them for dinner tonight and he’s seriously overexcited!

• Reply alice June 17, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Brilliant – let me know how they went! x

• Reply Slow-cooked shoulder of lamb | More Than Toast July 1, 2011 at 11:55 am

[…] the best part: you can eat it with mint jelly, which is basically jam. You’ve already seen my Lamb Kofte recipe but today I’m going to share my all-time favourite lamb recipe: Slow Roasted […]

• Reply Week one of my diet diary | More Than Toast July 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm

[…] Breakfast: Weetabix. LUNCH: Tomato and Onion omelette, avocado salad. DINNER: Lamb Koftes. SNACK: Elfie’s leftovers. DINNER: Gammon with peas and parsley sauce and rosemary roasted […]

• Reply Life with Elfie as a a Poorly Baby | More Than Toast July 14, 2011 at 11:54 am

[…] with a native language speaker who can explain her situation to a Doctor and trips to our lovely Greek island are out for the time being – it’s a long boat ride to the nearest basic […]