Food

MTT: Easy Flatbread

June 1, 2017
Easy Flatbread Recipe

As you might remember, I’m a bit of a bread purist. Thanks to the fact wheat blows me up like a four month pregnancy I like to eat only bread I’ve made myself, figuring that at least I’ll know every ingredient that’s gone into my delicious-tasting nemesis.

In practice this doesn’t always work. For example, I’m absolutely dying to try the M&S croissant loaf, an ingenious food with each slice apparently containing only a third of the calories found in a normal croissant (meaning you can eat three times as much, surely?).

Easy Flatbread Recipe Easy Flatbread Recipe

Our favourite bread product at present is the lowly flatbread. A flexible food, the flatbread can be modified for all manner of situations: we eat ours as wraps for lunch, to scoop up dips or in place of naan breads. It’s the easiest recipe to throw together and lasts for about 5 days in the fridge, making it the perfect thing to whip out and cook up fresh for those meals when you need something a little extra. Plus, for those a little shy of wheat like myself, you’ll be eating  a lot less than your two usual sandwich slices in one of these round lovelies.

Easy Flatbread Recipe

Easy Flatbread Recipe
(makes around 6-8)

300g plain flour
Pinch salt
50g butter
170ml milk

1. Melt your butter gently in a pan on the hob. Stir in the milk.
  2. Mix together your flour and salt. Add the butter/milk mix and stir well until a ball of dough is formed.
  3. Knead your dough well for a couple of minutes until soft and pliable. Leave for 30 minutes to stand (this is not necessary but means the dough is slightly easier to work with)
  4. Flour a clean side of worktop and roll a small amount of the dough between your hands – a little larger than a golf ball.
  5. Heat a dessertspoon of oil (I use olive) and a small knob of butter in a large heavy-bottomed frying pan on a medium heat.
  6. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until nice and thin, almost as thin as a store-bought wrap. Leave thicker for a more naan-esque bread.
  7. Transfer to your pan and cook until golden and bubbly on top, about 4 minutes on each side.
  8. If you’re cooking a batch, transfer on a plate covered in foil to an oven heated to 100 degrees c so they stay delicious and warm

I usually use my flatbreads as a base for all kinds of salads, but recently ate them with slow cooked lamb shoulder, pomegranate and garlic minted yoghurt (YUM!) as well as lamb kebabs with pickled onion and more yoghurt. They’re also great with a chicken caesar salad or as a crispy bread to dip in hummus.

• Reply Slummy single mummy June 1, 2017 at 5:31 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever made flatbread, but Belle is a big fan of stuff in wraps so perhaps I should give these a try.

• Reply Jen June 2, 2017 at 10:27 am

These look amazing , am going to try them this weekend.

If you want a really easy recipe for a loaf, Irish soda bread is the way to go – dead quick and never fails: you just need 125g plain flour, 125g wholemeal flour, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda and 1 250 ish ml pot of buttermilk, plus some salt. Stir it all together to make a fairly wet dough and either drop it into a loaf tin (I use the loaf tin liners, because I’m lazy!) or just form into a flattened ball on a baking sheet, and bake for 30 minutes at 200. For some reason this keeps better if you wrap it in a clean tea towel.

• Reply alice June 2, 2017 at 11:10 am

LOAF TIN LINERS! Can’t believe I’ve never heard of these – have just ordered some.

And thanks for this recipe, does it need kneading? This would be a great one I can make with Elfie! Let me know how your flatbreads go :)

• Reply Jen June 2, 2017 at 11:24 am

Love John Lewis, cake tin liners are an absolute godsend.

Nothing as strenuous as kneading required, so it’s perfect for little ones – you just need to stir. If you’re feeling really flash, you can sprinkle some oats on the top :-)

• Reply Jen June 11, 2017 at 6:38 pm

Just to let you know, I made the flatbreads this weekend – they were fabulous. Cook beautifully on the barbecue :-)

• alice June 12, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Oh brilliant!! I hadn’t thought to put them on the bbq so will definitely trying these.

And my loaf tin liners arrived last week… I love this exchange of info we seem to have going on here :)

• Reply Alison June 2, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Oh Alice! This looks amazing. I recently sat and watched a friend of mine make this, for us to eat along side a delicious slow cooked bean stew she’d made. She made it all look so easy!

• Reply Mel Wiggins June 2, 2017 at 7:11 pm

This sounds perfect! I’ve not experimented much with making my own bread but this looks foolproof for even me! Thanks Al xo

• Reply Laura June 5, 2017 at 12:41 am

Oh I do love flatbread especially when eating al fresco with friends!! These look so easy I am deffo going to give them a go the next time the kids decided to shine as I think the kids would love them as well

Laura x

• Reply Super Busy Mum June 5, 2017 at 11:10 am

I have never made my own flatbread before, but it looks so easy to do! I must do this with the kids over the summer break! Thanks!