Last week, on what was thus far the warmest day of the year, I took myself off to do one of my favourite things: a solo working lunch.
It’s the perfect situation… I order up some gorgeous food, sit on my laptop and run through emails, or read my favourite blogs and incept ideas for clients and myself.
Only this lunchtime there was a fatal flaw in the plan. The sunshine. Sitting outside (duh, I’m British and it was above 15 degrees, of course I was sitting outside) there was no way I could see my laptop screen. So I sent a couple of the most essential emails, ordered a glass of wine and instead kicked back to enjoy the sunshine and people-watching.
I was at my favourite Kings Cross Granger & Co, a place where they have lovely simple food, marble for days, a great well-priced wine list and Aesop soap in the loos. I’ve whiled away many a happy brunch here between meetings, chomping on Antipodean favourites and sipping tea: it’s fabulous.
The best dish at Granger’s is the classic sweetcorn fritter. Here it comes loaded with bacon, tomatoes and spinach, and is absolutely delicious: their sweetcorn is out-of-this-world tasty, plump and crisp, no doubt freshly plucked from the cob. It’s great for a healthy brunch, lunch or a lighter dinner.
It’s also an incredibly easy dish to replicate at home. With just a few store-cupboard essentials, you too can chow down on Grangers’ sweetcorn fritters (kind of, ain’t nobody got time for fannying around with corn on the cobs). I serve mine with a side of tomato and avocado, and as a bonus the kids eat these too. BOOM.
Sweetcorn Fritter Recipe (with bacon and avocado salsa)
1 tin of sweetcorn
Half a cup of flour
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
Half a red pepper, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
Handful of cherry tomatoes
Juice of half a lime
4 rashers of bacon (I like streaky)
Handful raw spinach leaves
1. Heat your oven to 180 degrees C and pop your bacon in for 15 minutes.
2. Drain your tin of sweetcorn. Get a large bowl and add to it your chopped red pepper, sweetcorn, egg, salt, flour and baking powder. Mix well with a fork and add a splash of water so the mixture isn’t too dry.
3. Heat the oil on a medium setting in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add the mixture a tablespoon at a time to make patties.
4. While these are cooking, chop your avocado and quarter your cherry tomatoes. Squeeze your lime over the top and mix well.
5. Pop your spinach leaves on the plate, serve the sweetcorn fritters on top with the bacon and avocado on top of these. Job done!