Travel

Travel Hacks: How To Seamlessly Fly With Kids

August 15, 2016
Bloc Hotel, Gatwick

I’ve flown with my children a few times, and in my experience the expectation is always much worse than the reality. You know what I mean: you spend nights before your holidays tossing and turning imagining worst case scenarios –  tantrums in airports, mislaid suitcases, disrupted flights. It’s enough to make anyone re-think taking their kids abroad.

But, more often than not it’s never as bad as you think it’s going to be,  and when it does go wrong the only thing you can do is man up and get on with it. Take a flight I was on with a toddler Elfie and baby Hux a few years ago, journeying back from the south of France with my mum. Of course I had multiple changes of clothes for the kids packed safely in my hand luggage in case of emergencies/poo explosions, but for me? Nope. Which was not helpful in the slightest when Hux’s nappy decided to leak all over my lap somewhere above the English Channel.

Journeying home from Heathrow with soggy baby pee thighs is not an experience I’d like to re-visit any time soon, thanks.

And so, this year before we flew to Greece, I did all the research. I thought of all the things, weighed up all the possibilities. This year, I thought,  I’d be bullet proof. And you know what? I bloody well was. The journey was smooth, nay, smoother than smooth, smoother than glass. Nobody peed on me, nobody melted down, nobody judged my parenting/bribery skills. We were golden. It was a textbook holiday journey, and here’s how we did it:

Bloc Hotel, Gatwick

Book an airport hotel
Although our flight wasn’t until 9.50am, I didn’t want to risk getting caught in traffic/queues/security lines at Gatwick, so I made the decision to spend the night before in a hotel inside the terminal. Our stay at Bloc was brilliant and I wouldn’t hesitate booking in here again – I hear the Yo! Hotels are really handy, too.  Even better if your airline lets you check in the night before, as ours did for a small fee. It’s a brilliant feeling to have dumped your luggage and be inside the terminal a clear 12 hours before you’re due to take off.

Shop around for parking deals
When it came to the parking aspect of our trip I was bored before I started – parking is possibly the least sexy part of any holiday. But it paid off to research what would be available to me, and in the end I found a valet parking deal that was only £20 more expensive than most of the park and ride options. With two children, three suitcases and only two hands this was a total no-brainer, and being able to pull right up to the terminal with our luggage made such a difference.

Bring out the emergency Apple devices
This is one situation where nobody will judge you for sitting your child in front of an iPad for hours. NOBODY. May I recommend these children’s headphones as being a welcome addition for your fellow passengers – they look very cute as well as doing the job of keeping any iPad interference to a minimum.

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 12.21.44

Put the kids to work
Speaking of luggage, I knew I’d have to be inventive when it came to packing for our trip away. We had a small 20kg luggage allowance per person, but obviously as I was travelling with a 4 and a 5 year old I couldn’t really ask them to heft their own bags around.

Or could I?

I came up with the genius idea of packing the lightest and bulkiest bits of our luggage in Trunkis, and giving each child responsibility for their own suitcase. These got checked into the hold and their hand luggage essentials (stickers, Shopkins, teddies) came with us in backpacks on the plane.

I still had the majority of our stuff in my big suitcase, but being able to siphon off bits and bobs into the Trunkis – that were light enough for the kids to cart themselves – made the world of difference. Genius.

Book an airport lounge
I knew that the airport would be busy at the time of the morning we were passing through and so wanted to make the transition of ground to air as seamless as possible. To make sure we’d have no panic over where to eat breakfast or spend some downtime (with those iPads, probably ;) I booked the No 1 Traveller’s Lounge. This is a low-stress area away from the hustle and bustle of the main concourse where you can get a seat, relax overlooking the runway and enjoy some lovely food (all included in the entrance price, which is around £36 for adults and £15 for kids). This was a haven for us after an exciting morning and hectic security check – just what we needed.

It’s also not a million miles away from the kids playground at Gatwick, a genius soft play area you can pop your children in while you enjoy a lovely hot coffee and think about your holiday.

single parent mark warner holiday

Stock up on food
I know most planes offer food but really, who wants to be in the situation where your child fancies nothing off the menu bar a box of Maltesers? Before our last flight we did a quick Pret whip-around, buying sandwiches, crisps and drinks for all. We still had the Maltesers, obvs, but at least I’d got a little bit of goodness into the children first.

What are your top tips for flying with kids?

• Reply Jenny August 15, 2016 at 5:23 pm

All this sounds fab! didn’t think you could take food and sweets through? I’m currently on a 2 week holiday with mine and we took handluggage each as we were with flying with Ryanair- they don’t weigh the cases, each are crammed with all essential dresses, shorts and t shirts- no need to wait for luggage off carousel. Packed sensible this can be done.

• Reply alice August 15, 2016 at 8:25 pm

We bought all the food air-side after security :)

I am in awe that you packed for 2 weeks using hand luggage, this is a skill I am yet to conquer!

• Reply Aileen ONeill August 15, 2016 at 8:11 pm

We travelled to France with our two and nearly four year old earlier this summer. The travel days couldn’t have gone better. Lots of snacks (some of which were stuff they would never have like crisps which added to the holiday element!) and a fully loaded tablet ready to whip out were the two things that helped.

Also having things like a new kids magazine helped (this was also great to have while over in France, the eldest loved it!) Again I don’t normally fork out on such magazines, so that helped with the ‘newness’ element.

On an organisational note, I find that the zip lock bag is my friend. Different bag for everything – nappies, change of clothes tightly rolled up, snacks…everything! Back when the eldest was but six months we travelled around New Zealand and Australia – that was when I discovered the practicality of the zip lock and haven’t looked back since! :-)

• Reply alice August 15, 2016 at 8:24 pm

MUST get me some zip lock bags! Those would be perfect for even just me when I travel alone. I’d forgotten about the genius of the magazine – the novelty of those (and teeny plastic toys!) last for hours :)
      Travelling around NZ & aus with a 6 month old? That’s amazing!!

• Reply Aileen ONeill August 15, 2016 at 9:31 pm

Yep, the ZLB really helps you to quickly find what you are looking for and to compartmentalize down your luggage into different sections (what can I say…I also have a fondness for excel spreadsheets…TMI?)

Travelling with a six month old was the best decision I made. My maternity leave suddenly felt so much longer and a six month old isn’t on the move yet creating absolute havoc – so we actually got to do fun stuff! I’m just dreading when it dawns on the eldest that she was in Australia when she was so young – it’ll be a long time, if ever, we’ll be able to do that again! :-)

• Reply alice August 16, 2016 at 11:50 am

I’m a great lover of the excel spreadsheet too!! I’m going away in a week and have spent a good couple of hours thinking about all the things I can now compartmentalize into zip loc bags… for the first time ever I’m looking forward to packing. What a revolution!

• Reply alice August 19, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Aileen, I wanted to let you know that I’m flying back to NYC on Tuesday, and my ZLB will arrive tomorrow ready for my packing fest this weekend – I can’t wait! thank you so much for the suggestion x

• Reply Aileen ONeill August 21, 2016 at 4:17 pm

Hope the packing fest is going well! I really enjoy your blog (which I’ve only recently discovered thanks to Instagram) so happy to provide you with a packing tip in return. ;-)

• Reply alice August 22, 2016 at 12:21 pm

That seems like a very fair swap :)

• Reply Audrey August 15, 2016 at 11:00 pm

I travel by plane with my two children (4&6 at least 3-4 times a year, most of the time to France, but also to Italy, Morocco…
    I’m not a big fan of screens so I always pack books, small toys, lots of snacks and coloring books with pens, it’s usually enoug to keep them occupied. I’m a big fan of Pret at the airport as well! ;)
    I’ve never tried the park and ride though, I’ve always wondered if it would be that good, I may give it a try next time! Thanks for the tip!

• Reply alice August 16, 2016 at 1:55 pm

You can’t beat a good airport Pret!

• Reply Helen August 16, 2016 at 11:23 am

Fantastic tips – we’ve not been brave enough to fly since our daughter was born yet, but when we do I’ll be taking these tips on board!

Helen x

• Reply Adele at Beautiful Tribe August 17, 2016 at 4:50 pm

Fab suggestions, Alice! We’re taking our crew to Thailand later this year so will have to bear all of these in mind. My suggestion would be to take a sling, especially if you need to hold a baby while helping an older child. And accept any help offered!

• Reply alice August 19, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Ooh this is a great one – I only ever travelled with a buggy when H was small and it was such a headache. Slinging him would have made such a difference x

• Reply Laura August 19, 2016 at 10:39 am

These are all fantastic tips Alice and I think researching before you go goes a long way to creating a smoother start to a holiday. I totally agree with booking an Airport hotel and making the morning of your flight as stress-free as possible. Having food and water also super important as I know my two get totally hangry all the time!!!

Laura x

• Reply alice August 19, 2016 at 9:44 pm

Yes! food is the best distraction!