MTT: Wedge Salad

August 20, 2013

If I get married again I would like it to be to Phil Dunphy. Seriously, the man is a) handsome b) hilarious and c) Phil DunphyI don’t understand why you would need anything else in a man, except perhaps for him not to be a character in a sitcom. Oops.

Anyway, while indulging in my favourite hobby of watching Modern Family re-runs on Netflix a few days ago, Phil starting mentioning the Wedge Salad. And even though I am British and have never even eaten a Wedge Salad I all of a sudden had a massive craving for one.

Wedge Salad Recipe

For the uninitiated, a Wedge Salad is basically a salad made from wedges of iceburg lettuce and cherry tomatoes drizzled in a creamy blue cheese dressing and covered and crispy bacon bits. It’s kind of epic, actually, and if you have never had one you need to get on this salad train, stat. If you use low fat mayo and sour cream you can even pretend to be all saintly, too.

5.0 from 2 reviews
MTT: Wedge Salad
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
This serves 2 for lunch (if you're greedy like me) but can easily be scaled up or down.
Serves: 2
  • 1 iceberg lettuce
  • A couple of handful of cherry tomatoes (about 12)
  • 1 shallot
  • 6 rashers of streaky bacon
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
  • 150g blue cheese
  • Splash of milk
  1. Chop the bacon into small pieces and fry until crispy over a high heat.
  2. Quarter the iceberg lettuce, removing the core and the outside leaves. Rinse under water and dry.
  3. Quarter the cherry tomatoes and scatter on a plate with the lettuce.
  4. Crumble the cheese into a bowl and mix with the shallot chopped finely, the sour cream and mayonnaise.
  5. Add a splash of milk to loosen the dressing and season.

• Reply Tracy August 20, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Great post. I too am currently watching Modern Family. Love it! I call my husband Gump (after Forest) or Phil from modern family. Funnily enough he hates Gump but doesn’t mind Phil.

• Reply HonestMum August 20, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Oh wow yum! Had one of these at Carter & Miller in between courses and need to recreate at home. So simple yet delish! Do link up to #tastytuesdays if you fancy: xx

• Reply Lucie Simic August 21, 2013 at 9:38 am

I love to indulge in Modern Family re-runs on Netflix too!

• Reply Angela August 21, 2013 at 10:47 pm

This looks awesome! I haven’t had a wedge salad in a couple of years (since I was last in America, in fact) and I always loved them. Will need to give this a whirl very soon!

• Reply Lauren August 21, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Yum! To the salad and to Phil. X

• Reply weight loss August 24, 2013 at 2:58 am

I am a recovered bulimic as in i never binge and purge any more. My weight loss having said that has spirralled away from command but i’m decided never to purge. I’ve placed on three stone above the final few of years and it is actually truly having me down. I’ve tried trying to get healthcare support, my GP has referred me into a dieticion nevertheless the approach to date has taken three months and that i dont have an appointment with them right up until an additional 3 months from now. I dont understand what to carry out. I cant experience needing to obtain a further wardrobe of garments within the up coming size up :'(