Style

Mummy’s Shoes

July 18, 2011
IMG_3452

It’s hardwired in lots of women’s psyche to have a ‘thing’ for shoes, isn’t it? I don’t think I’m so into them as my husband would have people believe, I probably have around 30 pairs as opposed to the 50+ pairs a shoe fanatic might. Is 30 a lot? I’m not even sure.

It’s tough to buy shoes when you’re a parent. Here are two of my summer favorites that I pretty much never wear anymore:

The beaten up ones on the right used to be my absolute go-to going out shoes; faux-snakeskin and from Reiss, they are beautiful. Their condition probably speaks volumes about how many excellent good nights out they’ve accompanied me on and ever since I hit 20 weeks of pregnancy my feet have been too swollen to wear them anymore. The ones to the left are KG by Kurt Geiger and I wore them recently for a wedding. It hurt, but I looked good. Which is what counts, right?

My current lifestyle of cooking, childminding and working from home doesn’t so much require fancy shoes, I don’t see myself trotting off to Fashion Week this year, but it’s always nice to have something in case of any last-minute invitation to meet Cheryl Cole. Or something.

Wedges are a much more practical shoe when you’re a mother. Although there is always the risk of toppling off them (it’s happened. It hurt) they are much easier to walk in. I have been looking for my perfect wedge shoe this whole summer (by which I mean I checked ASOS, Net-a-Porter, Reiss and TopShop before feeling bored and defeated) and came up with zilch. But then I saw this post about wedges on LibertyLondonGirl and fell in shoe love with a Comptoir des Cotonniers pair she bought in Spain. There are no Comptoir des Cotonniers boutiques local to me but last weekend I visited Nottingham and knew I would be having lunch in the vicinity of a CdC. I wasn’t holding my breath but there they were – the final pair of tan and brown wedges, in size 5 and marked down from £170 to £85 – it was shoe fate.

Aren’t they beauties?! Comfortable and sensible(ish), they will serve me for that date with Chezza, the wedding I’m going to next month or I might even go all out and wear them shopping next week. I know, WOAH.

In case you are wondering, the below shoes have been surgically attached to my feet all summer. And last summer, come to think of it.

They’re not glamorous, but at least they ain’t Crocs (of which I absolutely don’t own a pair. Ahem).

• Reply LibertyLondonGirl July 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm

What amazing taste you have!!! LLGxx

• Reply Richmond Mummy July 18, 2011 at 10:46 pm

My sister tells me that Swedish Hasbeens are all the range amongst fashionistas such as SJP – apparently they’re heels that are comfy…. hmmmm, can it be true?!? x

• Reply alice July 19, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I believe so! I was hankering after a pair (http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/164456) but I think £160’s a bit too much money to spend on a pair of shoes that I’m not really sure I like… heheh x

• Reply Mrs Scruff/ VRiedl July 19, 2011 at 4:32 pm

of course you don’t own crocs (cough, cough). Nice pair x

• Reply alice July 19, 2011 at 4:34 pm

They don’t count if you didn’t buy them yourself ;)

• Reply zoelee July 19, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I read the first paragraph of this blog out to Alex.. He now realises I’m far from a shoe fanatic. Thanks! (Pops online to buy more shoes)

• Reply alice July 19, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Oh dear… does that mean I am one??! It’s a good thing Will doesn’t come on here too often.

• Reply Bicester Shopping Village | More Than Toast August 2, 2011 at 7:20 pm

[…] – ASOS. Vest top – Aubin & Wills. Trousers – Primark. Shoes – Comptoir des […]

• Reply pandora sterling crown beads charms January 26, 2016 at 6:58 am

Awesome website you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same topics talked about in this article? I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get comments from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks a lot!
    pandora sterling crown beads charms http://www.charmsinuk.com/pandora-sterling-silver-crown-beads-charms.html