Interiors Style

Interior: Kitchen

May 24, 2011

This house is going to be a work in progress, I can tell. The bare bones are there, but we need happy art, wardrobes, a real dining table and chairs… it’s functional as it is and needs to be prettier.

3 weeks in and the basis of my colour schemes are visible; I’ve decided on the style I want in each room and kind of know how I’m going to get there. The main feature of this house will be COLOUR. Lots and lots of lovely inviting colour, in artwork, rugs, cushions and blankets. Not one colour but plenty of primary hues.

Blame my current IKEA project work on my obsession with creating a beautiful home, but I never noticed how similar interior decoration is to putting an outfit together. Just on a bigger scale, innit.

The kitchen is one of my favourite rooms because I love to cook so much. Our new kitchen is lovely and big with heaps of natural light and was one of the things I initially liked so much about this house. The storage goes on forever… need more appliances, obviously.

I initially bought this world map from Famille Summerbelle for the bathroom but it’s lived in the kitchen ever since I framed it. They do some beautiful pieces and I will be buying some of the learning art for Elfie’s room.

The hub of the cooking area… I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to have a self cleaning oven and an extractor fan.

I just re-read thatΒ sentenceΒ and realised I need to get out more.

The thing I love about kitchens is that they can be home to so many meaningful household objects. This jug belonged to my in-laws and he says whenever he sees it he thinks of his mum pouring Sunday lunch time gravy. Now it houses my cooking spoons and spatulas.

I got this cute vintage cabinet for our flat in Kentish Town when we very first moved to London. It’s not very practical; it holds virtually nothing and smells a bit funny but I love what it represents.

I love this random space that’s a bit of a weird size. Right now I’m using it to display wedding dishes we were given for our wedding and a gorgeous wooden box that once held Spanish Olive oil.

And here’s the beautiful bread board my brother-in-law to be (the wedding’s on Friday!) made us when we got married.

Our normal family table is in Nottingham so we’re using a stand-in at the moment. The colour is so horrendous that I had to buy a Habitat Albany tablecloth to cover it… there was big trouble when Will spilt curry on it and even bigger trouble when he realised how much I’d spent on a tablecloth.

So that’s it. The kitchen… where the magic happens.

• Reply Charlotte May 24, 2011 at 9:02 pm

It’s lovely, Alice! The print is awesome, I love the wee octopus in the corner :D I’ve got a draft post on the go about sentimental kitchenalia, looks like you beat me to it, haha x

• Reply alice May 26, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Thanks Charlotte!

I would love a bit more out on my worktops but I get so frustrated with the cleaning (baby = crumbs = cleaning = HEADACHE)

• Reply Adele May 24, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I adore the map, I love the colours! It must be so FUN (albeit stressful) to decorate… I can’t wait to start all that stuff myself.. (just need to move out first..) xx

• Reply alice May 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm

The most stressful thing is not being able to agree on stuff, it took us SIX WEEKS to find a sofa we both liked and I completely lost the will to live.

• Reply Muddling Along May 25, 2011 at 1:21 pm

That is a lovely kitchen – looking at redoing ours and currently overwhelmed by the choices…

• Reply alice May 26, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Tell me about it, I have become obsessed with interiors sites at the moment and my bookmark folder is bursting. I even have a tear-out of an ‘inspiration wall’ stuck to my own inspiration wall.

• Reply Bryony May 25, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Lovely kitchen! I purchased the London map print from Famille Summerbelle last week, absolutely love them.

• Reply alice May 26, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Thank you! I love that London map but we are in disagreement about whether to purchase it in red or grey….

• Reply Metropolitan Mum May 31, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Love that map – a bit Ryan Adams but a bit more special (I think his work gets a bit shown too much at the moment).
    And a self-cleaning oven? Woohoo!

• Reply alice June 1, 2011 at 10:29 am

I agree – he is a little bit too overexposed now I think!

• Reply Kitchen Art - The Grand Taxonomy of Rap Names | More Than Toast June 20, 2011 at 8:35 pm

[…] and I bought two pieces for our new home. The first to go up replaced the Famille Summerbelle map (now in Elfie’s bathroom) in our kitchen and is their ‘Grand Taxonomy of Rap […]

• Reply Antonia October 17, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Good day! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same
    niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done a wonderful job!